Counseling and Guidance Services
School Counselor Directory
Pupil Services Office at 426-1522, ext. 2414.
Counselors’ work includes:
- Counseling students individually or in small groups
- Counseling parents individually
- Assessing children for academic or remediation purposes
- Providing guidance (e.g., scheduling)
- Making referrals to outside agencies
- Coordinating the school system’s group and achievement testing programs
Close cooperation concerning the child is maintained among the classroom teachers, parents and counselor. Referrals to the counselor may be made by the parent or building staff.
The Greater Dayton area is home to many community service organizations that help students, parents and families with special needs. The attached PDF, titled "Project WE CARE" lists contact information for many such organizations, including those that provide:
- Emergency and intervention services for domestic violence, suicide prevention, legal aid, poison control, crime, fire and natural disaster
- Drug and alcohol counseling services
- Services for handicapped individuals and their families
- Health services
- Individual and family counseling services
Many community services are provided on a sliding fee scale. Parents should inquire with the agency in question about payment for services.